T20 World Cup 2024 – India vs Pakistan – Rohit & Kirsten: Keep calm and play cricket

T20 World Cup 2024 – India vs Pakistan – Rohit & Kirsten: Keep calm and play cricket

2011 ODI World Cup Semi-final The match played between India and Pakistan at Mohali was such an important occasion that the then Indian coach gary kirsten And the rest of the staff left the meeting room to give the players some time.

“After the show (presentation by the team analyst) was over, Gary said that most of the people in the support staff were non-Indians,” R Ashwin wrote in the book. I have roads“They value this team, and it’s a big game for them as well, but they can’t even imagine how big it is for us to play Pakistan in the World Cup. They said they’re all leaving now, so we can be alone and do the rest of the meeting on our own.”

This was about two hours before the match, which was to be played in the presence of top political leaders of both countries, many celebrities and packed stands. Sachin Tendulkar gave a fiery speech in which he said that for the past two-three years, he had been thinking about facing Pakistan in the semi-finals or finals and winning the trophy. The meeting left everyone speechless.

However, 2011 was a different world. These matches used to happen occasionally and naturally. Now, there is a World Cup every year and groups are planned, so India and Pakistan play in the league stage. The occasion remains important, but its significance has diminished a bit.

Results in ‘big matches’ have become a thorn in the neck of the current Indian team, although they do not necessarily perform poorly in such matches. On the eve of the match against Pakistan, Rohit Sharma Rohit was asked if there was anything different in games where expectations and stakes are higher. Small indicators like how his mind works before a match, how well he sleeps, how he feels during warm-ups. Nothing much, Rohit said.

“Nothing has changed in the last seven months because we have played them (Pakistan) in the Asia Cup, ODI World Cup and now the T20 World Cup,” Rohit said. “Earlier it was a different game because we used to play them maybe once in four years or two years, now it’s a different game. We actually played them seven months ago in the Asia Cup and the World Cup and now we are here again.

“So, for me, I think nothing changes. I just look at it as another international game where I handle myself and make decisions on the field. I’m sure everyone will have their own way of dealing with games like this, but I have my own process. Being a captain, I have to make decisions on the field. So, I think what is more important for me is to think about what I need to do right now or in this particular over – not even thinking about how many runs we need after 20 overs, or how many runs we need to bowl them out for. I think it’s about that one over, how we want to finish that over, staying in the present, and literally just focusing on every over, and thinking about what you need to do in that particular over, and that’s where the captaincy skills come into play.

“I am sure other captains think differently. Everyone has their own way, but I like to think about that one particular over like this. Because this is really a place where you can’t think too far ahead. The game changes every over here. So, you have to think about that particular over and think about how you can win that one over and then move on to the next over. I know that kind of thought process requires a lot of thinking, but I don’t have any problem with it.”

Rohit wasn’t part of the semifinal 13 years ago, but he has won a World Cup final before and a couple of matches against Pakistan. The coach of India in 2011 will be the coach of Pakistan in 2024. The bowler who took five wickets that day in Mohali is now the chief selector and Wahab Riaz couldn’t stop himself from bowling in the nets on Saturday.

Kirsten has not only coached India in the past but has also worked with the likes of Hardik Pandya and Shubman Gill as Gujarat Titans’ Director of Cricket in the IPL. When asked if his experience provides valuable insight, Kirsten said Pakistan players don’t need it.

“It’s a good question and I would answer it this way that I think these players have seen enough of each other and the way they play,” he said. “At the end of the day we want to make sure we play our game the right way. Look at the conditions and what is required according to the circumstances, because I think tomorrow is going to be a big day.”

Kirsten said the atmosphere was different too. “I think it’s a little bit different because it’s not in India or Pakistan,” Kirsten said. “I went for a ride early in the morning today, which I like to do early in the morning, and I definitely had a little ride around the stadium and I thought the atmosphere was going to be good there tomorrow. So it’s going to be exciting for all of us to have so many people come out to support both teams.”

If Rohit is going to play it just like any other international match, Kirsten’s advice is to enjoy the occasion to the fullest. “Well, let’s not hide from the fact that it’s a big game, but cricket should be treated like cricket,” he said. “In every game you have to play well, you have to hit the ball in the right areas, you have to score enough runs, you have to take your catches and field well. I don’t think it has ever changed the game. It changes a little bit because of the formats, but that’s definitely what we’ll try to do tomorrow. If we play a really good game of cricket to the best of our abilities, we have a good chance of winning the game.”

Siddharth Monga is a senior writer at ESPNcricinfo

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *