T20 World Cup 2024 – Rahul Dravid – India’s win ‘great proof of fight in the team’

T20 World Cup 2024 – Rahul Dravid – India’s win ‘great proof of fight in the team’

“There is a tremendous amount of talent in Indian cricket at the moment,” Dravid said after the final. “The energy and confidence that the players have is at another level. We have been aiming to win an ICC trophy for a long time and I am sure the team will carry this confidence forward and win a lot of trophies in the next four, five, six years because the ability and talent that this team has… there is no dearth of anything.

“There was a time when we felt we were working really hard and playing good cricket, but we just couldn’t get over that hurdle. But after today, I am hopeful these boys will take it forward and win a lot of trophies.”

Dravid took over from Ravi Shastri in November 2021. His initial tenure was for two years, which was later extended till the T20 World Cup 2024. Under his leadership, India made it to the finals last year. World Test Championship And this ODI World CupBut the trophy eluded them. Until Saturday, the last ICC title they won was the Champions Trophy in 2013.

When asked about India’s preparation for the T20 World Cup, Dravid said, “Honestly, it’s a two-year journey. It’s not just a journey for this T20 World Cup. When I think about building this team, the kind of skills we wanted, the players we wanted, the discussions started in September (November) 2021.”

“So it’s two years of work. It’s not just this World Cup. I think it culminated in this World Cup. The disappointment in Australia (in the 2022 T20 World Cup) and then the ODI World Cup – there’s a lot involved. It feels like a two-year journey, not just a one-month journey. What we’ve tried to build, what we’ve tried to create, it feels like it all came together on one beautiful afternoon in Barbados.”

Dravid praised his players and their fighting spirit during the final. There was a stage when South Africa needed just 30 runs with six wickets in hand but India kept up the pressure and won by seven runs.

“I’m not usually at a loss for words, but in the last couple of hours I’ve really been at a loss for words,” he said. “I couldn’t be more proud of this team. The way we’ve had to fight in difficult conditions, and today as well, I think it’s a great testament to the fight in this team. After losing three wickets in the first six (overs), we were in a situation with 30 balls to spare. But the boys kept fighting, they kept the faith, and I think that’s a huge credit to them.

“Being part of the coaching staff, I feel really grateful because we are able to enjoy these moments because of what they have done under pressure. It’s great to be part of a dressing room like this and I think it’s a memory of a lifetime for me. So I’m really grateful to everyone in the team and the support staff who made this possible.”

As a player, Dravid never won a World Cup. Under his captaincy, India were knocked out in the first round of the 2007 ODI World Cup. That tournament was also held in the West Indies, but Dravid is not looking at the recent victory as any kind of redemption.

“There is no redemption. I am not one of those people who think about redemption and things like that. As a player, I was not lucky enough to win the trophy. But I tried my best, I gave my best whenever I played and it didn’t happen, and it happens, it’s part of the game. There are many other players I know who haven’t won the trophy. I was lucky to have the opportunity to coach a team and I was lucky that this group of boys made it possible for me to win this trophy.

“It’s a good feeling, but it’s not like I’m aiming for some kind of redemption. It’s just a job I was doing. I love doing it. I love working with Rohit Sharma) And this team. It’s been a great journey and I’ve really enjoyed it.”

Earlier this year, Dravid had conveyed his decision to the BCCI. not seeking a second termThis means he is ending his coaching tenure on a high, but he is not trying to build “any legacy.”

“I am glad that we gave our best and it wasn’t just me who got the better of us,” he said. “I think I would really like to thank the support staff I have worked with. I feel I have been fortunate to have worked with exceptionally hard-working professionals, intelligent coaches and other support staff who have made it possible for us to have a great environment under Rohit’s leadership. I am glad that with a bit of luck, it has resulted in this trophy.”

When asked what he will miss the most about Rohit, Dravid said, “I will miss him as a person. Forget cricket and captaincy and everything else, but the thing that has impressed me the most is the kind of person he is, the kind of respect he has shown towards me, the kind of care and commitment he has for the team, the kind of energy he has put in and he has never backed down from that.

“So for me, he’s the person I’ll remember the most. He’ll be a great captain, he’ll be a great player and he’ll score runs and win trophies, but I think what I’ll love the most is who he is as a person.”

Going forward, India will be without Rohit and Virat Kohli Both the players are also banned from playing in T20 international cricket as both the players have announced their retirement from this format. According to BCCI President Roger BinnyIt will take “two to three years” for the team to fill that void.

“A lot of cricketers are coming through the IPL but it will take some time to bridge the gap,” Binny said after the final. “They have contributed a lot. It will take time. We will probably see in the next two-three years that the team will get back to its position even without them.”

Meanwhile, the BCCI has started the search for the next coach. gautam gambhir This is at the top of his wish list. But Binny did not say much about it.

“Nothing has been confirmed as yet. Gautam Gambhir has a lot of experience. He has worked with teams. He has played Test matches, ODIs, T20s. Let’s see.”

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *